In the framework of the annual CoHabitat Network meeting, held from 31st of May to 3rd of June 2019 in Geneva, urbaMonde, with the support of the City of Geneva and the Fondation Charles Léopold Mayer, organized a public round table on “Housing as Commons, not a Commodity: Links between Municipal Action and Community-Led Housing”. How can local governments support organised communities to secure access to affordable and adequate housing?
Examples of successful collaborations between public authorities and citizen-led initiatives will be presented and discussed: the pioneering role of the cities of Barcelona and Grenoble in developing the City as a Commons; the collaboration between public authorities and organisations of the urban poor in Africa and Asia on participatory slum upgrading and community-led housing; the commitment of cities like Geneva to make The Shift in order to reclaim and realize the fundamental human right to housing.
- Rémy Pagani, Administrative Councillor of the City of Geneva
- Vincent Fristot, Deputy Mayor of the City of Grenoble
- Denis Maire, Mayor of the City of Juvigny (Annemasse Agglo)
- Mariolga Juliá, Caño Martin Peña Community-Land Trust, Puerto Rico
- Eduard Cabré, GPR2C - Habitat International Coalition, Barcelona
- Rose Molokoane, Slum Dwellers International, South Africa
- Van Lizar Aung, Women for the World - Asian Coalition for Housing Rights, Myanmar
Amanda Flety, UCLG